Facilities Maintenance Technician (Electrical)
- Job Type: Permanent Full Time
- Posted: November 29th, 2018
- Closing Date: December 14th, 2018
The North Warning System (NWS) is a joint United States and Canadian radar system that includes 47 radar sites spanning the Arctic from Labrador to the Alaska border. The NWS provides the capability to detect airborne threats across North America's polar region, providing a command and control capability to the Canadian Air Defence Sector (CADS) of the North American Aerospace Defence Command (NORAD). Canadian Base Operators, with Raytheon Canada Ltd., will provide Operations and Maintenance (O&M) of the NWS system including full care, custody, and control of the entire NWS and its components. This includes 47 radar sites; five logistics support sites (LSSs), a monitoring and control center, and a radar depot. Key activities include radar, equipment and facilities maintenance/repair; logistics support; and remote monitoring and control. Canadian Base Operators Inc. (CBO) requires a Facilities Maintenance Technician (Electrical) at the following location. This position is permanent full-time, shift-work/rotation. Iqaluit, Nunavut
Providing preventive and corrective maintenance on electrical distribution systems and auxiliary equipment at both Long Range and Short Range Radar sites within the prescribed geographical zone, as well as other general maintenance tasks.
Essential job functions
• Responsible for monitoring, maintaining and troubleshooting the serviceability of the facilities and electrical distribution systems (along with the related equipment such as fire/intrusion alarms); includes providing diagnostic, problem solving and repair capabilities
• Provide assistance to apprentices and other trades as required
• Document and maintain facilities files as related to the work management system, work plans, field/incident reports, data analysis, etc.
• Respond to emergency situations (unexpected failures);
• This position will be required to travel to various NWS sites, some of which are in remote, northern locations, with close quarters and subject to inclement weather conditions. Work will take place both indoors and outdoors, at times be physically demanding.
• Keep work spaces and general areas clean, orderly and hazard free; wear personal protective equipment
• Prepare personal timesheets
• Secondary duties, as required, may include but not limited to: participating on the Fire Brigade; providing bear protection; assisting in the maintenance of the LSS library; conducting environmental, safety, security and quality checks and audits, general housekeeping in support of a healthy and safe workplace environment and taking proactive and corrective measures in these areas.
Minimum Qualifications & Training
• Highschool diploma or equivalent
• Licensed journeyman and post journeyman experience as an Industrial Electrician; Inter-provincial
• 3 years’ related experience (diagnostic and repairs), minimum, in a commercial or industrial setting; multi- disciplinary facilities maintenance experience an asset
• CFAA Certificate and Fire Detection Systems experience an asset
• Must be familiar with programmable logic controllers, diesel generators, switchgear and distribution systems, and safety regulations and practices.
• Ability to read and interpret related drawings and manuals
• Proficiency with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and Outlook
• Standard First Aid trained with CPR Level A (with valid certificate)
• Must already hold a Level II (Secret) Clearance or be eligible to obtain one. Approval of security clearance by the Canadian Industrial Security Directorate is a condition of employment.
• Must already hold a valid PAL or be eligible to obtain one.
• Hold a valid class ‘G’ driver’s license, or provincial/territorial equivalent
• Customer service and detail oriented
• Excellent written and verbal skills (English)
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume outlining how you meet the qualifications stated above. All applications will be accepted on an equal basis. However, failure to submit a cover letter and resume may result in the automatic rejection of your application. ALL INTERNAL APPLICANTS MUST NOTIFY THEIR SUPERVISOR OF THEIR INTEREST AND INTENT TO APPLY.
We thank all applicants, but only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Please forward your application prior to close of business on December 14, 2018 to:
Attn: NWS HR Representative Canadian Base Operators
101 Pretty River Parkway, Suite 6 Collingwood, ON L9Y 4M8
Fax: (705) 446-9008
No phone calls please
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
“Canadian Base Operators encourages applications from all qualified candidates. If you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the application process, please do not hesitate to contact Human Resources Representative noted above.”
Canadian Base Operators is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and welcomes a wide diversity of applicants. Canadian Base Operators is committed to assisting Raytheon in their provision of long-term, sustainable and meaningful economic benefits for Inuit Beneficiaries and their communities through activities such as on-the-job training, mentorship and skills development at all levels of employment. If you are an Inuit Beneficiary or a Land Claim Beneficiary from the Nunatsiavut, Nunavut or Inuvialuit Settlement Region you are encouraged to submit your resume.