LSS Manager (Cambridge Bay)
- Job Type: Permanent Full Time
- Posted: November 10th, 2017
- Closing Date: November 24th, 2017
The North Warning System (NWS) is a joint United States and Canadian radar system that includes 47 radar sites spanning the Arctic from Labrador to the Alaska border. The NWS provides the capability to detect airborne threats across North America's polar region, providing a command and control capability to the Canadian Air Defence Sector (CADS) of the North American Aerospace Defence Command (NORAD). Canadian Base Operators, with Raytheon Canada Ltd., will provide Operations and Maintenance (O&M) of the NWS system including full care, custody, and control of the entire NWS and its components. This includes 47 radar sites; five logistics support sites (LSSs), a monitoring and control center, and a radar depot. Key activities include radar, equipment and facilities maintenance/repair; logistics support; and remote monitoring and control. Canadian Base Operators Inc. (CBO) requires a Manager at our Cambridge Bay (LSS), Nunavut location. This position is permanent full-time rotational.
The LSS Manager is responsible for the daily operation of the LSS. May serve as liaison to the Commanding Officer, schedule and oversee zone work, respond to incidents involving radar site operations and support activities/visits initiated by the client.
Essential job functions
- Manage and supervise the daily operation of the LSS – accomplish LSS objectives by managing staff, planning and evaluating LSS activities (including but not limited to facilities/equipment maintenance (electrical, building systems), supply chain, food/accommodation provision, heavy equipment operation/maintenance)
- Ensure safety, productivity and efficiency to the standards of the SOW and to the satisfaction of the Company
- Schedule, supervise, and monitor subcontracted personnel as needed to accomplish tasks as well as Company employees. Provide guidance to employees, subcontractors, and customer visitors.
- Communicate job expectations – plan, monitor and appraise job results; initiate corrective actions when/where necessary.
- Provide guidance and training to customer personnel in establishing operation, maintenance, and inspection procedures and techniques
- Maintain statistics, create and submit timely reports, and estimates on manpower requirements as required by the SOW and the Company
- Advise and assist in effecting design changes to improve LSS efficiency and/or reduce cost of operation.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures as necessary to support the maintenance and control of LSS systems
- Interface with internal and external customers ensuring effective communications regarding status and priority of work
- Enforce safety and security procedures.
- Enforce and follow facility and Company policies and SOPs.
- Responsible for solving problems and/or conflicts with the customer
- Responsible for performance management of LSS employees, including orientation, conducting evaluations and initiating personnel actions such as training/development, coaching, counseling and discipline, as per Company policy and procedure.
- Ensure timely and open communication with the Operations Manager
- This position will be required to travel to various NWS sites, some of which are in remote, northern locations and subject to inclement weather conditions. Work will take place both indoors and outdoors, at times be physically demanding.
- Keep work spaces and general areas clean, orderly and hazard free; wear personal protective equipment
- Prepare personal timesheets
Minimum Qualifications & Training
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in an applicable trade or technical field preferred
- 3 years’ minimum experience in supervision and management of both personnel and workflow, including experience in performance management and safety
- Proficiency with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and Outlook
- Standard First Aid trained with CPR Level A (with valid certificate)
- Must already hold a Level II (Secret) Clearance or be eligible to obtain one. Approval of security clearance by the Canadian Industrial Security Directorate is a condition of employment.
- Hold a valid class ‘G’ driver’s license, or provincial equivalent
- Customer service and detail oriented
- Excellent written and verbal skills (English)
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume outlining how you meet the qualifications stated above. All applications will be accepted on an equal basis. However, failure to submit a cover letter and resume may result in the automatic rejection of your application. ALL INTERNAL APPLICANTS MUST NOTIFY THEIR SUPERVISOR OF THEIR INTEREST AND INTENT TO APPLY. We thank all applicants, but only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Please forward your application prior to close of business on November 24, 2017 to:
Attn: Sean Bargent, NWS HR Representative
Canadian Base Operators
101 Pretty River Parkway, Suite 6
Collingwood, ON L9Y 4M8
Fax: (705) 446-9008
No phone calls please
Attention is drawn to the Staffing and Recruitment SOP (SM-007) and Screening, Interview & Selection Process SOP (SM-008). These procedures must be followed. For all internal applications, employees are required to notify their current Supervisor, Manager and Human Resources Representative of their application at the earliest possible time.
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
“Canadian Base Operators encourages applications from all qualified candidates. If you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the application process, please do not hesitate to contact Human Resources Representative noted above.” Canadian Base Operators is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and welcomes a wide diversity of applicants. Canadian Base Operators is committed to assisting Raytheon in their provision of long-term, sustainable and meaningful economic benefits for Inuit Beneficiaries and their communities through activities such as on-the-job training, mentorship and skills development at all levels of employment. If you are an Inuit Beneficiary or a Land Claim Beneficiary from the Nunatsiavut, Nunavut or Inuvialuit Settlement Region you are encouraged to submit your resume.